Welcome to the world

10:32 AM

I made it through the pregnancy without knowing the sex of the baby. Principe isn't sure how but he also survived.

I am no longer pregnant, as you probably assume from my two week long absence. You want to know what sex the baby was?

Do you?

The delivery went well. I was already in labor when we showed up on Tuesday morning to be induced. I was four days late by that time and had been in pre-labor for a few days I am betting. The doc doesn't want to confirm, but my pain was pretty bad and the contractions were hard, just not regular enough. When I got hooked to the monitor I had contractions every three minutes but they weren't rhythmic. Each contraction lasted around a minute or so, but sometimes they were longer and sometimes they were shorter.

Which reminded me of Queenie and her birth. The Sage-Femme (midwife) told me I could either go home and be in labor all day or I could stay and get the drops. I know some of you out there are going to be shocked (shocked I tell ya!) that I chose to stay and get the Oxytosin, but the idea of going home to labor with my inlaws and Firecracker in the house and then possibly needing the Oxytosin anyway (I ended up needing it with Queenie anyway as my contractions wouldn't regulate. I am not saying that everyone needs it.) as the monitor was showing eerily similar results as with Queenie just didn't seem like a good idea. More than not a good idea it didn't seem like very much fun. Who wants to be in labor with your three year old wondering what is going on (your very same three year old who is already having some trouble realizing that "baby" is coming and isn't very secure in what all that means) with your inlaws trying to keep her away but your heart breaking listening to her either cry or throw a temper tantrum out of fear.

I opted for getting the drops.

At 10:30 I received the epidural with a low dose of medicine. The anesthesiologist looked at me liked I was crazy when I said I wanted to still feel the contractions. But my main thing was to be able to feel my body pushing. That was the one thing I liked from not having the epidural with Firecracker was that I felt that reaction in my body and could respond to it. In the end I didn't respond properly enough and didn't push hard enough as the pain of her head being caught pushed me out of my one of concentration, and this time I really just wanted to be able to push properly. As with Queenie the epidural worked more on the left side than on the right side and I had to be on my right side while laboring. Even though I felt the contractions I was doing well. My Sage-Femme checked me an hour later and said I was at 10cm already, but my water hadn't broken yet. We chose not to break it manually as the baby still had a little bit to go to get all the way engaged and with the third one (and on) breaking the water prematurely can cause the cord to wrap around the neck. With that said we waited for my water to break. And it broke the next time she checked me. And just ten minutes later I was pushing.

My doc walked in calmly after the 8th push. The Sage-Femme told him to hurry up or she was going to get the gloves on herself. He laughed and washed his hands. She laughed as well, but told him again to get over to me. A couple more pushes and her head was out, but then they all got quiet and told me to stop pushing. Her shoulders were stuck.

The gentle shouts of encouragement from the pediatric nurse and Sage-Femme stopped as my Doctor gentle twisted my baby, then stopped and thought, then consulted in whispers then gently twisted the baby again until finally they told me I could push again. While it was hard to go against my body's impulse to push I have to admit that my first thought at that point was, "Thank God I got the epidural." Feeling her stuck in my hips to the full extent would not have been nice.

The Sage-Femme told me to open my eyes and watch, my baby was coming. Which was so nice of her as my eyes were closed still from going against my body's will to push. I quickly opened my eyes to watch my baby come out.

The pediatric nurse murmured that the baby was at least 4 kilos. I watched as she held my baby on the stomach and rubbed vigorously on the back to get out a cry. At that point I still hadn't realized that I didn't know if it was a boy or girl. I was just content to watch the purple-faced baby in front of me learn to cry. But Principe had not forgotten. I turned to him to see him poking his head around the nurses hands to try and see. Then the nurse flipped her over and I heard my husband cry out, "It's a girl!"

And then he laughed in joy and disbelief.

My doctor laughed and said, "I guess you and I just don't know the secret to making boys." (He has three girls as well)

I held my third little girl as another doctor pulled out my placenta that we decided to donate for leukemia research. It had to be done in just a certain way and took a little longer than the normal placenta pull out. That is when my doctor explained to us that the reason he told me to stop pushing was that our little girl tried to get her back shoulder out first instead of the front shoulder. When the head is already out it is obviously no loner a question of life or death, but a broken clavicle is pretty common when they are pushed out too quickly in that position.

But my doctor got her out in perfect condition.

And so, here she is: our little Emma Jean!

Oh, yes, about the purplish color: that is a result of her getting stuck and is normal when they have their heads out for a few minutes with their body still inside. She had a few broken blood vessels, but within a few days she had a normal color.

You Might Also Like


Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images